Saturday, January 12, 2008

When it is Hardest to be Away

This past weekend our family pet pug, Fritz, died suddenly of a collapsed trachea. He had diabetes, and he was only 8 years old. Pets in our family are valued as any other family member, so this has been very difficult.



It is so hard to get news like this when you cannot drive home to hug your parents or be there to help take care of a loved one. We both felt so helpless when we found out, because there was nothing we could do at this point, and words to convey my sadness and heartbreak over the phone felt so insincere, empty, and weak.

Fritz was such a good puppy dog! My dad always thought he was the "smarter" of the two pugs, and he was such a great companion dog for all of us, especially my parents after we moved away to college. He was one of the most playful puppies and loved to go for walks. He had a snaggle tooth on his lower jaw that poked out of his mouth all of the time, and my grandpa sometimes said his alter ego was "Juan Fang." (get it? one fang? haha) He didn't like people to be up in his face (much to my chagrin), but he loved to lie on your lap and be held. We loved him so much and it is sad to know that he is no longer there at home.

While we were home for break, Fritz seemed perfectly healthy. He even played with my sister's new pug puppy, Ellie! Because it was so sudden, it is still so shocking, especially when we are not there for closure with my parents, and we just saw him as healthy and happy as ever. We are very glad we went home and got to enjoy Fritz as a healthy dog one last time.

We will miss you, Fritz.

5 comments:

Linden said...

Don't feel like your condolences were insincere, empty, and weak! It only feels that way because you are so far away and because they can't be accompanied by a hug and a shared tear. :(

*big hug from Deutschland*

kjl said...

I'm so sorry, friends. We know how hard it is to lose a canine baby so suddenly. We'll be thinking about you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Fritz is gone and you feel disconnected from it.:( And BK you are so genuine I'm sure your phone grief is better than most people's live offerings... He sounds like a great family dog to remember and celebrate!

Bets said...

Oh my goodness! What sad news. I am so sorry for your family. Pets are (obviously) family to me, too!

Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Beth,
That other comment is right. We could feel how much you hurt when we told you. When I saw hime "sleeping" at the Vet's, you could feel the relief that it was over. It hurt terribly but I knew he was in no more pain, confusion, or fear.
He was a GREAT dog.
Love You Both! Dad